Labels:

Boiled Garlic Spinach

On a sushi plate. Yeah!
I wasn't very fond of eating spinach as a child. Even after the countless Popeye cartoon shows my brother and I watched where we were "brainwashed" that eating spinach would make our muscles bulge and we would acquire super strength.

Even as an adult, I really wasn't a fan, until I had it in this "special" way. Funny thing was, it wasn't even special - in fact, it was just a side dish that was served with mashed potatoes from an Italian restaurant. My mother-in-law loved it so much that I got curious and tried it. And fell in love with it ever since. It was actually just boiled spinach with lots and lots of garlic (thanks to my mother-in-law for the recipe!)

Now, it is a staple at our house. I was actually wondering why it took me a while to blog about this, when we have this dish several times a month. Nothing but some good ole' antioxidants to keep the family healthy! (We eat too much sweets so we need to balance it out hahaha).


What you need: 

6 oz pack fresh spinach
6 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup culinary broth


What to do: 

Wash spinach thoroughly and dry.

Place a pot over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Saute garlic for about a minute, or until sides begin to brown.

Add spinach and broth. Cover. Turn down heat to low. Cook for a minute or two. Serve hot. (Easy peasy!)


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. Substitute water for culinary broth.
2. Top with crushed garlic bits (anti-vampire!).
3. Serve with bagoong (ala Chowking's Kangkong with bagoong). 

4 comments:

peachkins said...

O sya, kakain ako ng spinach..

anney said...

First time ko naman natikman to nung nagpunta kami ng subic isa sa hinain ng pinsan ko. Nasarapan ako kaya tinanong ko pano niluto. Same din ng pagluto nyo pero imbes na broth e nilagyan nila ng maggi magic sarap para pangpalasa. Simple pero masarap.Sabi ko try ko iluto dito samin pero nalimutan ko na. Ayan naalala ko dahil sa post mo. hehehe!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Totally love spinach! Love your easy recipe :)

Guia said...

I love spinach although I didn't like it too as a child. Gonna have to try your recipe. :)

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters