Labels:

Red, White and Blue Strawberry Cake


Since 4th of July is just around the corner, I thought I'd post this Red, White and Blue Strawberry Cake that I made a few weeks ago. 

Regular readers of my blog would know that I rarely bake things from scratch - only when I am really and truly inspired, OR if we don't have a cake mix in the pantry.  ;-)

I bought this strawberry cake mix because berries were at peak (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) and I was thinking of copying my mother-in-law's raspberry cake - but using strawberries instead. I already baked the cake, and (as luck would have it), I didn't have frosting! A quick peek in my pantry told me that I don't have enough powdered sugar to make frosting for a 2-layer cake. Darn.

Then I remembered the whipped topping in my freezer. Aaahhh, yes. That will do. Of course, I had to thaw it a bit so it would be "spreadable." And you know what? I found out that I actually like whipped topping in cake. It is not too sweet, and it is very light. I do know that these products have a lot of things that aren't good for you, but I also believe in moderation. So eat up, and don't feel guilty! (Unless you eat it everyday for the next year or so!)

Recipe tweaked from here. Bottle of delicious Polaner Spreadable Fruit (Raspberry) from my mother-in-law!


What you need:

1 box Strawberry Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme)
1 1/2 cups jam (I used Polaner Spreadable Fruit in Raspberry)
6 oz fresh blueberries
about 10 pieces strawberries, sliced
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil


What to do:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch pans with baking spray or butter. Sprinkly flour on the surface and tap off excess.

Prepare and bake cakes according to package instructions. Cool completely on a rack.

Place one cake on a serving tray. If the surface is uneven, trim the top a little bit. Spread the raspberry jam on top of the first layer. Place the second cake on top. Cover the cakes by spreading whipped topping, making sure all surface is covered. Top with sliced strawberries and blueberries. 

Refrigerate for at least one hour. Slice and enjoy!


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. For a more "befitting" 4th of July cake, use a 9 X 13 pan and decorate the cake in the shape of the American flag.
2. Substitute raspberry with strawberry jelly.
3. You can also throw in some raspberries for a more festive and yummy cake!
4. As always -  warm eggs to room temperature before using in baking. This is so you get the maximum volume when beating the egg whites.
5. Not a fan of whipped topping? Use butter cream frosting!


 

6 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

ang ganda ng cake mo!! Happy 4th of July!

Dennis said...

Ang sarap naman...hehehe. Alam mo yang pag-bake ang gusto ko talagang matutunan....Siguro pag nakabili na ako ng oven.....hehehe

Regards

Rome Diwa said...

bongga! makulay ang buhay! God bless Amerika!

J said...

@ Peachkins: Thanks sis! Belated happy 4th na rin hehe.

@ Kuya Dennis: Dito lang din ako natutong mag-bake kasi di naman masyadong uso ang oven sa atin diba? Pang mayaman lang sa Pinas. Pero dito, lahat ng bahay ay may oven. Parang fridge lang hehe.

@Rome: Thanks! Makulay talaga. Kumukutitap pa. Chos!

anney said...

Hanganda ng keyk! At syempre looks yummy din! Bagay talaga sa 4th of july!

J said...

@Anney: thanks sis!

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters