Labels:

Beef Bulgogi


This is an attempt to copy my mother's Beef Bulgogi. When we had it "mom's way," beef bulgogi was wrapped in lettuce leaves and was eaten as an appetizer of sorts. I wanted it to be the "star" of dinner so I served it as the main course - along with rice, of course!

This recipe is a bit sweet, but the steamed rice pairing tones the flavor down and gives you a hint of sweet and a hint of savory. I think I like it better than the store-bought sauces - I control the ingredients I put, and less chemicals. Yay!


What you need:

1 pound top round steak, sliced thin 
1/2 Vidalia onion, cut in rings
1 mandarin orange fruit cup
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on your taste)
3 cups of water
3 tablespoons pineapple juice
3 tablespoons cooking wine
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
canola oil for frying


What to do:

Easy peasy! Just combine all ingredients except  the canola oil. Mix well. Let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. Overnight is better!

Heat about a tablespoon of canola oil in a non-stick pan. Fry the beef slices until slightly brown. Pour in about a third of the marinade and cook for a few minutes more. Remove from heat and serve with rice.


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks:

1. I used a fruit cup because I didn't have oranges. Use fresh ones if you have any.
2. Cooking wine works great, but sake gives it a better flavor.
3. Green onions are also great in this dish!
4.  I originally used 1/2 cup sugar in this recipe but found it a bit too sweet. Cut down a bit, or try the sweet version!  :-)

2 comments:

peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

Oh my, I'm on a trying-hard no-rice diet.. mukhang ang sarap nito sa rice...

J said...

@Peach: Yes, naparami nga ako sa rice nung niluto ko ito hehe.

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters